This is Cece Mae. She turned 2 on Thurdsay.
On Friday night, instead of playing with her new toys, she was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit to be monitored for 24 hours.
Cece found a pill on the floor, inadvertently dropped by a visitor to her house. That pill, a diabetes medication used to control blood sugar, was chewed and swallowed before anyone could stop Cece.
Her big sister tried. At 5 years old, Miss G knows that pills are not candy. Pills and medicines that are not given by mom or dad do not go in your mouth. Pills that aren’t meant for you can hurt you. Miss G tried to get Cece to spit out the pill, but it was too late. Miss G ran to tell her mom and dad what Cece had done.
Cece and her family will be back home tonight, thanks in part to Miss G’s fast thinking and her parents fast response. Had Miss G not seen what the pill looked like and also reported to her mom and dad immediately what had happened then Cece, on her way to bed, without anyone’s knowledge of what she chewed up… well, we are all thankful that we didn’t have to face that what if.
Besides the IV in her arm, and the hourly finger sticks to test her blood sugar, Cece is taking this whole experience like a trooper. We imagine that she won’t even remember the past 24 hours.
So readers, my plea to all of you, especially if you take medications, vitamins, herbal supplements and happen to be in the home of a small child-
Never assume that your medicine is not of interest to a small child.
Never assume that a child will not find, look for or make attempts to reach that interesting bottle or gummy-style looking “candy.”
Never assume, no matter how many times you say not to, that a child will remember not to put anything into it’s mouth, no matter their age.
Never, ever assume that all your pills actually make it into your mouth when you take your dosage, especially if you are one of those people who can, and do, swallow multiple pills at one time.
If you are in a home with small children, always check the area where you just took your medication. Counters, beds, tables, the floor. Any place a child can see and reach may have a harmful surprise waiting for little hands to find it.
And finally, if an accident happens with a medication, please know what to do, right away. Call your Poison Control help line, or if your community doesn’t have one, call 911. It is imperative if you know a child has ingested anything that you do not wait.