Doesn’t it make you feel proud and happy when you stick with something that seems impossible and then the moment comes and you can shout Eureka! because you figured it all out?
My Eureka! moments usually come in connection with something electronic or a technological situation. I had a moment today at work. I’m still pretty happy, hours later.
Everything that happens to/for/with a patient is recorded electronically nowadays. When I complete my screening of a baby, I print a paper record of the outcome and I also chart the results in the EHR (electronic health record). My weekend at work was crazy and while I was charting today I went back to a patients results from Saturday to gather another piece of information. I realized that I had charted a screening result incorrectly for that patient. Try as I might, I could find no way to edit that result.
I sent a message to my coordinator asking how to handle the issue and went off to screen my last baby for the day. She sent instructions, I sat down to correct my error and…no more baby. During the time I was away the baby and parents had been discharged and when they leave the floor, they are no longer available in our patient list.
I enlisted the aid of the charge nurse who walked me through the process to find and then edit a record. My access to patient information is much more limited than the staff access. We work much of the time with a “need to know” access and can be denied certain areas. I wasn’t sure if the path that she was showing me would work but I was determined to give it a try.
Things began well but when I accessed the patient record it looked nothing like the screen that had been available to the nurse. I was missing tabs that she had, my screen seemed to be set up differently and quite honestly I had forgotten exactly which part of the chart she suggested I locate to edit my record. Undaunted, because by gosh I wanted that chart entry to be correct, I began opening tabs one by one, exploring, seeing how far I could go and if anything even vaguely resembled the area I needed.
Ten minutes in I managed to locate two notes that I had written and filed regarding this baby. The downside was that there was no way to edit them from the screen I was in. More searching, more clicking, more exploring and as I came closer to the final few available tabs the screen began to look familiar. Thirty minutes after my search began there in front of me was the Audiology tab and the page with my charting. The best part is that it was able to be edited!
I was so pleased with myself that I whooped in delight and loudly began to declare myself to be amazing and skillful and definitely best at never giving up. Thankfully the nurse in the NICU directly behind me was busy with a loud, fussy baby and missed out (I hope) on my zealous display of pride and fist pumping.
I fixed my error, charted an explanation of the changes and promptly forgot all the steps that I had to endure to get to where I needed to be. I did however, walk out of work with a silly smile plastered on my face, a huge feeling of accomplishment in having conquered the EHR, and the phrase “never, ever give up…” running through my head.